Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Is Google, still Google?

SuperUser

D for Digi.png

Google is making some big changes which includes a new CEO! What do you think this will mean for the future of your beloved Google products (what ARE your favourite Google products)?

Share your thoughts with us here!

Find out more about Google's new parent company, Alphabet here: abc.xyz

---
Hope my post has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Re: Is Google, still Google?

SuperUser

I doubt they'll do any other changes to an already successful platform.

Contributor
Now Google are subsidiary companies of alphabet.
Sekarang Google adalah anak syarikat alphabet.
Lebih mudah diurus kata co-founder syarikat gergasi itu.

SuperUser

i feel what Google is doing with Alphabet is the "right" step. Google's gottenitself into a lot of other "businesses" with it's various acquisitions. Some may not be in-line with the "search and advertisement" model. 

having a parent company own Google and eventually split Google into smaller entities will help these smaller entities stay focused in whatever they do -- Nest could do it's own thing, Google can do it's own stuff, etc... They may not need to align to each other's goals/ focus. Just need to stay in-line with the parent company. 

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

SuperUser

on a side note: this forum should have an edit function. edit posts we made. right now, i don't think we have that... 

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

SuperUser

back to original Q...

i guess Google will stay Google for many.

Not many know Google's other initiatives/ business/ acquisition like Fiber, Nest, driverless car, Loon, etc...

i think this article is a good read: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/11/9129131/alphabet-google-larry-page-sergey-brin-merger-strategy

SuperUser

i guess it's quite normal la. we become good at what we do then we diversify

SuperUser

hem.... it's actually not really a "subsidary" but an "umbrela company". 

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3

SuperUser

@danielkhong25 wrote:

i guess it's quite normal la. we become good at what we do then we diversify

i was watching this interview with Om Malik, etc... And there was an interesting remark: Google isn't really good at what they do.

The explanation is quite interesting and I have to say that I agree. If we really look at what Google are doing, they have had many failures, etc... Even Search which is primarily their strength, when we break down to industry search (according to the discussion in that video), some specific search engine/ portal does a better job than Google. 

It's not helped if other non-related stuff like Nest, etc are all parked under "Google" as well. So, it does seem natural and right thing to put all under a different company so these smaller companies (like Google, Nest, etc) can focus on what they do best.

SuperUser

Don't have to be the best, make money and look less evil. - Google. 

lol. 

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3