Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

What is International Roaming DataService when the data is not even switched on...

Super Contributor

not the phone touched at all???

I was (and am) really shocked to find 2 pages of charges for "International Roaming DataService" just now. Right, I am not in Malaysia at the moment, and only noticed when I got a message about refund of roaming GST. The individual amounts may not be big, but added up... and, it is a shock to find such charges suddenly. Do I have to monitor my account every day when I don't even touch my phone that frequently???

I have just sent an email to the Help Desk, and hope this can really be resolved urgently and refunded accordingly.

I have also checked my phone, not only is Data Roaming turned off, Data is also turned off, and definitely not used at all.

It has happened since two days ago - 7 January 2016. Is this some kind of a CNY joke? Smiley Sad

Really look forward to a complete stop of this kind of joke which I previously thought only happened to Celcom prepaid lines. 

Re: What is International Roaming DataService when the data is not even switched on...

You will never ever get an answer from Digi.

I have the same issue "International Roaming DataService" and get 4-6 such charges daily when I travelled overseas. When I discovered my credit gone, it was like 20 days later.

I have emailed and reply Digi Help and after 9-10 emails, I totally give up. Called the helpdesk also the same.

What is their response? 

1. You need to turn off data roaming and cellular data.

2. We have validated the charges via our technical team to reconfirm data roaming connection from your phone.

3. Digi won't charge you when the above is turned off.

4. Digi billing won't charge if you turned off the above.

I have clearly indicated in my email that I have turned off data roaming and celluar data and they still insist that I didn't turn off them!!!

When I asked them to read my emails carefully before reply, guess what is their reply?

"Kindly be informed that the International Roaming service is a default service given to all prepaid subscribers and there are no way to remove the service. As you mentioned before that you have turned off the data roaming and mobile data in your device settings but still received connection, we would recommend you to turn on "Flight Mode" while roaming to avoid any connection being established.

If you wish to use the line while roaming (in case for emergency), just simply turn off the "Flight Mode" and your device should receive the connection automatically within few minutes."

GENIUS!

Finally, in my last correspond, they said "If you have done the above but still experience similar issue, it is highly recommendable for you to swap your sim card into a different device and retry as we are not able to restrict or remove the International Roaming service for prepaid numbers."

For goodness sake, I have put the same sim card into iphone 5s, 6, 6 plus and still the same thing happens!

Reading some threads here that said "Stop Internet" might work, so when I back in MY, I called Digi and asked for this service. So, now I subscribe to "Stop Internet". Guess what?

My celluar data is turn off, data roaming turned off, phone leave at a corner without using and it is connected to my home WIFI, 

There are still 5-6 daily transaction of "data service" and when I emailed Digi asking why there are such transactions when I subscribed to "Stop Internet", they simply ignore the question and answer you something else.

I am in IT/Telecom industry for almost 20 years and I have used prepaid card from many countries. No other give me such issue except DIGI.

My experience tells me that Digi is communicating something with server, but if you are in MY, there will be no charges as this is within their own network. But, when you are abroad, sorry, you willl be charged by overseas vendor.

This is really sad that Digi won't investigate thoroughly why it is happening and their helpdesk just keep to their protocol and insist that there are no problem with their SIM, server, network.

Now that you encountered the same issue as I have, it clearly showed that it is not user fault. So, either live with it or switch to other telco.

Re: What is International Roaming DataService when the data is not even switched on...

Useful Info

DigiRay, any update on your issue?

Anyway, just to update why Digi Help is not useful.

I got them to send me my data usage for my mobile. It takes almost two weeks for them to compile and when I go through the file, there are quite a number of transactions that don' tally with the charges Digi billed me.

Send them a query, asking the below:

I go through the excel file. There are quite a number of transaction not tally.

Take for example, on 31-Jan, the excel file shows usage of 3 transactions, but I was billed 13 transactions of international roaming data service @ $0.05 each.

On 30-Jan, excel file shows 5 transactions, but I was billed 9 transactions of international roaming data service .

Please explain the discrepancy.

Got their reply back as followed:

Please be informed, when you are abroad and connected to our roaming partner, your usage is not being updated on real time basis as you are not roaming directly under Digi. Roaming partner will update us on your usage based on their timing. Only when we get the information on your usage, we will bar the line when it has exceeded your limit.

Overall, the charges has been captured from your mobile number and it is genuine form charging perspectives and non dispute.

We trust the above addresses your concerns raised to us.

So, they still can't answer my question and just reply something else. This is the type of support Digi can offer.

Dear Digi,

i had been charged "international roaming dataservice" of more than 20myr . i had been oversease for the past year and always maintain my Digi number without  getting any charges but i have been consistently receiving 0.50 charges since the past month, i had been charged 3-5times a day for 0.50 each. 

this doesnt happened before and data roaming setting has been always set "OFF"

please help to verify and refund accordingly to maintain loyal customer.

Thanks and regards

Charleson 

I'm having this issue as well. My postpaid plan is RM50 and every month getting international dataservice for RM70+.  This is  am outrage

Community Manager

@wheiliang wrote:

I'm having this issue as well. My postpaid plan is RM50 and every month getting international dataservice for RM70+.  This is  am outrage

Replied to you here: http://community.digi.com.my/t5/Postpaid/Random-and-expensive-international-roaming-dataservice-char...

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Avoid getting scammed with bogus Digi promotionsFake Facebook Scam Announcements

now, apparently i'm not the only one who 's having this issue. I move to singapore since June because of switching to new job. However, i still maintain my digi mobile postpaid package since i  frequently travel back to malaysia. I use my phone just to access public wifi in singapore and not turn on data roaming or making/receive any calls. But since June my bills spike to rm80++(my postpaid is around rm50 per month). At first i  didn't question about it, but this July month bills is too much already, charges me rm90++. I have talked to digi FB official page, but when i demand for refund and adjust back my July bill, the digi admin stopped response to me.

Since this is not a new case for digi, why digi doesn't take proactive action to inform users that they might get charge for "international roaming service" eventhough users are not intend to enjoy this roaming service? This is too much.  

@MrOctopusK , appreciate your reply. I have emailed to  Help@DIGI.COM.MY, now waiting for their  investigation. Currently I switch my phone to flight mode for all the time. Hopefully it works.

Community Manager

You can try 2G/3G mode when you need to use the phone =)

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Avoid getting scammed with bogus Digi promotionsFake Facebook Scam Announcements