Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

VoLTE and VoWifi

Contributor
What is VoLTE?

VoLTE is Voice over LTE, voice calling on the 4G network. It allows users to stay on the 4G network during voice calls. The Voice runs on reserved Bandwidth so the Voice Quality is great and its not competing with data services for Bandwidth. It does not require a separate application and just using the phones built in dialler.

How long do I need to wait for VoLTE?

It is being enabled for consumer customers that have registered as above. In order to save save battery life this normally takes about 4 hours if its the first time the service has VOLTE. Unfortunately Telstra Front of House will not be able to fast-track you.

Where is VoLTE available?

VoLTE is only available in 4G and 4GX coverage areas (but not in 4G-only small cell areas). When a 4G signal is unavailable, voice calls will automatically switch to the 3G network.

Will VoLTE calls cost more than 3G voice calls?

VoLTE calls will be charged in exactly the same manner as 3G voice calls.
There are no additional data charges.

Does VoLTE cost extra?

No, Excluding handset purchase there are no extra ongoing costs.

Is there any change to the way I make or receive calls on my phone using VoLTE?

No, you make and receive calls the same way you normally do. MessageBank, MessageBank Plus and EasyCall (Call Diversion, Call Waiting, etc) will also continue to work as they do today.

Conference Call allows you to bring up to 5 people into the call.

The only minor difference you may notice is that VoLTE to VoLTE calls may have a slightly different ring tone as it's provided by the handset for some call types and not the network.
What are the benefits of VoLTE?Customer

- shorter call setup
- Increases handset battery less current drain
- guaranteed call quality
- ability to simultaneously access 4G data while making a voice call;
- increased support for HD voice calling.
- VoLTE calls may be seamlessly handed over between LTE and Wi-Fi and vice versa.

Over the longer term there will be an increasing number on 4G only areas, meaning that VoLTE will be required to make/receive a call.

For Voice you now effectively a whole new 4G network providing you with coverage that is being heavily invested in

What is VoWifi (Wi-Fi Calling)?

VoWifi Calling lets you make calls over the internet…

- With your mobile number
- Using the native dialer
- No separate application needed

VoWifi Calling provides call continuity between VoLTE and VoWifi

If you are talking outside on VoLTE and move indoors, in a corner of your house with no LTE coverage then you seamlessly switch to VoWifi. When you move outdoors then you switch back to VoLTE. This happens without the you or the other party even knowing.

VoWifi Calling utilizes device capabilities rather than at application level, resulting in significantly lower battery consumption

So no second number or applications that may have a impact to your battery life. No need to purchase a second VoIP number. It just works for everyone without them needing any particular technical skills.

It would be useful in the attached environment.

Re: VoLTE and VoWifi

Community Manager

Thank you for sharing. Looks like it is an article from Telstra? 

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Contributor
Yes.... might be helpful for Digi subcribers as i assume Digi is planning for VOLTe and Vowifi role out soon this year

Dear Sir,

If I've accidentally unsubscribe the VoLTE on my iphone can I subscribe back..?

Thanks and really appreciate for your advice.

Regards.

Community Manager

@eONE84, you can activate/deactivate VoLTE on the iPhone at any time.

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Why VoLte it doesn't work on Huawei P9 plus? My Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on another DiGi number works fine.

Samsung Galaxy S7 didn't get the VoLTE love. Kindly please clarify if it is Samsung update issue, or simply digi doesn't have s7 test phone? Not everybody like the edge, and some prefer s7 over s7 edge. Both s7 edge and note 5 activated with VoLTE, but not s7.

You'll need to sign up again via digi live chat.

Community Manager

@devalian wrote:
Samsung Galaxy S7 didn't get the VoLTE love. Kindly please clarify if it is Samsung update issue, or simply digi doesn't have s7 test phone? Not everybody like the edge, and some prefer s7 over s7 edge. Both s7 edge and note 5 activated with VoLTE, but not s7.

VoLTE activation is provisioned to major phone models that are thoroughly tested.You may be able to use VoLTE if you activate it using another compatible phone, then insert your SIM card back into S7. However if there are any adverse effect to the voice call quality, you will need to turn off VoLTE from MyDigi app.

Thanks. I had tried, as I previously was using s7 edge then shortly with note 5 and now s7 for good.

Only at s7 I didn't get the VoLTE service. Does that means Samsung s7 update didn't included VoLTE package?