Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Strategy for Data-Kiamsiap Users Like Me

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Mobile data quota in Malaysia has never been unlimited or been very generous, especially to the young tech savvy generation that consumes rich media contents. Streaming music on the go, continuous Whatsapp chatting and Facebooking easily drains my 3GB data plan to flat, especially with DiGi's fast LTE network. 

So, if you're kiamsiap like me, follow this 1-2-3 guide of data-saving methods!

1. Music Freedom

Remember that you and your friends once had the craving for a song, but you're reluctant to stream the song from your phone? These days are long gone if you're using services from Deezer and Spotify! Your streaming data usage is omitted from your DiGi data plan quota, if you get yourself the DiGi Music Freedom app.

Screenshot_2015-07-07-18-11-51.png

Just go ahead and stream the highest quality music. The savings are significant and just enjoy the music. Music Freedom app is totally non-intrusive. No spammy ads and notifications, and in fact the app doesn't even need to be started when you use your music apps. Not only that Deezer and Spotify is supported, there's a whole bunch of other supported services that are included by Music Freedom. Go check it out: http://new.digi.com.my/ecomm_C/services/default/music-freedom

2. Opera Max

Fret not even if you're not a music lover. Opera Max can save all the data quota when you're using essential communication apps by relying on data compression technique. using free passes that DiGi provides. You might even get free YouTube passes if you're lucky. Now you can closely watch your Facebook activities without worry of your friend's photos draining your quota. Update: Opera Max passes is no longer available.

Screenshot_2015-07-07-18-10-59.png

Opera Max can be very intrusive with their toast notification whenever you open the apps that Opera Max support, whether you take the free passes or not. If you are desperate to get free data quota, then you would have to tolerate with the notifications.  Opera Max is now updated with no more nagging notifications! Since Opera Max is so cool to listen to our feedback, there is more reason to give it a go! (Opera Max became naggy again. Booo!) Also DiGi has been adding many free passes compared to the days before, but even if the passes don't cover your favourite app, you benefit from the data compression feature that Opera Max provides. However, remember that Digi Music Freedom will not be able to give you free quota when you're connected to Opera Max VPN. So be smart of when to turn it on or off! Check out Opera Max here: http://new.digi.com.my/cs/Satellite/ecomm_C/services/default/Opera_Max

3. Opera Mini

Not all services comes with a mobile app and Opera Mini is here to save you when you just need to browse the web. Not only that Opera Mini usage are free for iDiGi users (with the exception of streaming), you also benefit from Opera's compression technology to improve page load time. 

Update: Opera Mini is no longer free

Screenshot_2015-07-07-18-56-27.png

Compression savings are impressive especially for websites with plenty of images. By theory, having your phone to transmit less bytes would also improve battery life! Here are the terms and conditions from iDiGi Opera Mini: http://new.digi.com.my/Page/tnc/default/tnc_iphone_whatsapp_opera_mini

Share with us if you have your ways to make the best out of your data plan quota!

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

Re: Strategy for Data-Kiamsiap Users Like Me

Thanks for sharing. An amazing tips for better Internet experience.

Community Manager

Update: Opera Max has been revamped

The first post mentioned that Opera Max is very intrusive as it pops up toasts notification everytime you open a supported app? Good news, the latest update of Opera Max has removed this intrusive behavior. The only time you see it nagging is when the free passes expire (usually once a day). Since Opera Max is cool with this update, I would strongly recommend to use this app!

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

SuperUser
Use mydigi app to monitor data usage

SuperUser
Opera mini did not work well
Hope my post has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!
Screenshot_2015-12-05-22-02-09.png

I thought WhatsApp and other messaging apps, Gmail, Facebook and some other social media apps are exempted from the data charge?

Community Manager

Not for all customers, like my postpaid. Smiley Happy

Community Manager

Information updated for Opera Max. It became naggy again.

HOW?