Are we seeing double? Horror is when everything looks the same but it actually is not. This is the case especially when we suddenly spot a friend or family member who has a duplicate account.
This can happen to any one of us. If we are on a social media platform, we will already have agreed that our information like personal details, photographs, and videos are going to be accessed (somewhat) easily by the public.
Here are a couple of tips to staying safe with your unique online identity.
1. Change your password(s) frequently. Stay unique.
2. Use different passwords for different online accounts (emails, social media, fan pages, etc.)
3. Enable 2-step verification. Some platforms allow you to link your mobile phone number to this online account. Each login attempt will be followed by a secure key sent via SMS.
4. Do not connect to every single public WiFi network. We have already given enough of access for each of our apps. We don’t need more networks potentially snooping around.
5. Remove public WiFi profiles from your saved networks in your devices. This is so that your devices will not automatically connect to these public networks when you are within proximity.
6. Get a VPN service. A Virtual Private Network will keep your information secure while still allowing you to surf freely.
7. If you spot a duplicate account, report it as a Fake immediately. Follow these steps (directly from Facebook).
The Report button should look like this. Steps for other platforms will be similar.
Do you have any tips to share or queries that need answering? Feel free to comment down below!