Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

A simple guide to switch from iPhone to Android

by Community Manager ‎25-06-2018 04:38 PM - edited ‎26-06-2018 05:52 PM

First of all, congratulations on your new smartphone! As a former iPhone user of a few generations, the idea of switching to the unknown can be quite daunting. But once everything is sorted, you’ll realise it’s actually easier than you think it is.

So let’s get you started.

1. Back it all up
Before the switch, you should backup all of your info, contacts, photos etc on to a cloud. There are a couple of methods to do this, but I suggest saving it all on Google Drive as it’s easy and convenient when you switch to your new phone! If you don’t have Google Drive, you can download the app from the App Store.

Screenshot_3.png

Once you’re in Google Drive, start your backup by selecting Menu > Settings > Backup. You can choose what you want to back up or simply have everything stored into the drive by tapping on “Start Backup”. Backing up may take a few hours so it’s best to connect your device to power and Wi-Fi.

2. Sign in to your Google Account
Once backup is complete, you can now switch to your Android! Just log in to your Google Account on your new phone using the same account you used for backup. You’ll find your contacts and calendar all synced up almost immediately! You can also download the Google Photos app to recover your old photos.

The only hassle you need to go through is re-downloading certain apps such as Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram etc. Some Android smartphones will already have these apps pre-downloaded in the phone for you, so all you need to do is just sign back in to your accounts.

3. Deactivate iMessage
Before you turn off your iPhone completely, don’t forget to turn off your iMessage too. This is so that you can send and receive SMS to and from other iPhone users!

Hope this helps! If you have more handy tips or any questions, leave a comment below for our Community users to see!

Like what you're reading? Here's more for you! Click here.

Comments
by shockk SuperUser
on ‎26-06-2018 12:59 AM

Great guide! Thanks for sharing. Smiley Very Happy

One more thing I normally do when I switch from an iPhone to an Android device - is to use the Wazzap Migrator app which is available officially on the Google Play Store. Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nbeghin.whatsappmigrator&hl=en

Normally, you can't do a direct backup via WhatsApp server  as the WhatsApp for iPhone backup is via iCloud and in a different file format, while the WhatsApp  for Android backup is via Google Drive and  in its own file format as well.

However, this  app allows quite a seamless transition for all your WhatsApp history (messages, photos, etc.) from your iPhone to your Android device.  But be warned that there is a slight learning curve when doing the transfers.

Happy 'switching devices'! Man Very Happy

wazzapmigrator.png

by Community Manager
on ‎29-06-2018 03:17 PM

Thanks @shockk!  This is something new for me. I  didn't manage to save my Whatsapp history when switching devices, but will consider this next time Smiley Very Happy

Labels

Meet our Support team and SuperUsers