Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Virtual assistant - Siri, Alexa, Google, Cortana...

SuperUser

Recently, I was playing around with a Google Home Mini. It's one of theose smart speakers where you can do quite a bit of things with it by just giving voice instructions like "Hey Google, Make me a cup of coffee"... OK, you can't ask it to make you a coffee, but you can ask things like "Hey Google, tell me a joke" or "Hey Google, will it rain tonight?".

I was really impressed coz I recall trying out these assistants a few years back and I wasn't impressed.

Anyway, decided to enable the Google Assistant on my Android phone and I have to say, I'm impressed. I've now kept it enabled and I now do see myself using it quite a bit.

What is so impressive? Well, for one thing, I talk like an ahpek. A Malaysian ahpek. And Google Assistant can actually understand me! I now ask Google Assistant things like "Hey Google, how is the traffic?" or "Hey Google, send whataspp message to Alex".

To mute my phone, I don't press the buttons now. I just go "Hey Google, mute phone" .

Have you tried out any other virtual assistants like Siri or even Cortana? What do you think? Like it?

While I've only tried Google Assistant, my friends have said that Siri is just as impressive. 

So, do share your experience and tips about Virtual Assistants. And what you expect it can do in the near future...

Hey Google, who's better? You or Siri?

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

Re: Virtual assistant - Siri, Alexa, Google, Cortana...

Community Manager

Between the Google Home Mini and phone's Google Assistant, are they exactly the same? Does Google Home Mini do any extras?

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

SuperUser

@MrOctopusKwrote:

Between the Google Home Mini and phone's Google Assistant, are they exactly the same? Does Google Home Mini do any extras?

what i understand... Home Mini can do things like read out the recipe for you... step by step. i managed to learn of to make an omlette that way with Home Mini, but somehow could not get it to work on my phone. test was over a few days, so i could have used different keywords, etc...

plus, supposed to be able to control other stuff  like lights, etc... but i don't have the philip hue lightbulbs to test as well.

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

Community Manager

Cool, thanks for the insights. 

I feel my phone's Google Assistant is good enough for me now. I have a concern that I wouldn't use the Google Home more extensively than my phone's.

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.