Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra & S21 Plus - Small review & Camera Comparisons

[ Edited ]
SuperUser

s21u-s21p.jpg

SAMSUNG GALAXY S21 ULTRA & S21 PLUS

I was recently given an opportunity to review the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra and S21 Plus for a week. Thanks for everything. Smiley Very Happy 

Since now MCO, kenot ke sana ke sini, why not do a simple indoor review? 

IMG_6957.JPG

DOES IT COMES IN BLACK?  Yes, Mr Wayne.  

Samsung's newest star of the show colour is the PHANTOM BLACK.  It's a Matt Black colour finishing on Glass. (I thought it is aluminium  material at first, thanks my friend corrected me).  The weight mixed with the texture gave both these phone  a premium feel. 

Front

Front are entirely screen. Gone with the impractical days of very curvy edges. S21 Ultra only has a slight curve all round with 2.5D edge Gorilla Glass. S21 Plus is complete flat.  

The back is the camera bump. The most distinctive design of S21 series. The S21 Ultra  bumps are larger and thicker, and a lil top heavy.  

IMG_7085.JPG

Can't stay flat a flat surface.  Worse for the Ultra. 

IMG_7082.JPG

PERFORMANCE? 

Finally, the variant we get this time is not a cripped chipset, compared to last year's Samsung flagship.

They now runs on the Samsung's latest  Exynos 2100 CPU with Mali-G78 MP14 GPU  chipset. Fast. Shouldn't be a problem dor daily usage, even play games like PUBG, COD Mobile, Fortnite Mobile, MOBA, Alto's Odyssey (120hz enabled game), you can max out the graphics and it will run exeptionally good.  

Paired with the super bright  120hz Dynamic AMOLED screen.  You can definitely feel it when you navigate around the UI, fluid. And hidden under the screen is the ultrasonic fingerprint scanner

Battery? 5000mAh on the S21 Ultra, which contribute to the extra weight and thickness. And 4800mAh on the S21 Plus. Both phones can easily  last more then a day. 

No expandable storage, no power brick this time.  No headphone jack as well. Smiley Wink

No benchmark results here for you too, you will need to find another place for that. My opinion is that benchmark results are irrelavent for the normal users nowadays. (and becos I lazy)

SOME SECRETS?

20210128_122220.JPG

Even the old S-Pen from Samsung Galaxy Note 8 works on the S21 Ultra! Only downside is you can't keep the pen inside the phone now.  

Unfortunately, there's no S-Pen support for the S21 Plus.

bottom

Both phone have a very similar design, Bottom: loud speaker, dead-centered USB Type-C Charging port, and SIM Tray.

sides

Just Power button, and Volume Dials on the right of the phone, they gave just enought tactile feedback. No Bixby button now. and the left side is left empty.

S21Ultra-thic

S21 Ultra thick camera bump.  

CAMERAS

cam-specs.jpg

Here's a detail picture of all the unique lenses on both phones. S21 Ultra (Left), S21 Plus(Right).

Some might think both the S21 Ultra and S21 Plus camera system are the same but just S21 Plus missing one camera, but they are actually completely different. 

S21 Ultra QUAD Camera  with Laser Focus

S21 Ultra main wide camera uses  Samsung's latest 108MP ISOCELL HM3 1/1.33" sensor, paired with a 12MP Ultra-wide camera, true 10MP 3x optical zoom and 10MP 10x optical periscopic zoom, which translates to zoom up to 240mm focal length!  And able to do 100x Hybrid Zoom too!  Is this the perfect camera setup? 

S21 Plus  TRIPLE Camera

S21  Plus doesn't get the ISOCELL treatment but instead, a  standard 12MP sensor on the main wide camera, paired with a 12MP Ultra-wide camera, and a 64MP 1.1x optional zoom camera, which can do 3x Hybrid Zoom.  The 1.1x zoom distance left a lot  to be desire... 

frontcam.jpg

Only a single punch-hole front camera for both. Difference being S21 Ultra has a higher pixel count at 40MP compared to 10MP. Both should be good enought for selfies/group-fies, video calls, video conferencing and Vlog. 

----------------------------------

Article got a bit too long, so I'll break it into two parts.

Next, I would talk more on the camera system, some photos and comparisons between two.

Stay tuned. Smiley Wink 

--------------------------

Intrigued?

You can find them in Digi PhoneFreedom 365! Purchase your #GalaxyS21series from RM218/mth with the lowest ALL-IN monthly payment plan  and get freebies worth up to RM697. Enjoy it with up to 200GB high-speed Internet and FREE 365 Digi Shield protection.

Link: https://www.digi.com.my/shop/phones/phonefreedom365/samsung#smartphones

-----------------------------------

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3

Re: Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra & S21 Plus - Small review & Camera Comparisons

[ Edited ]
SuperUser

PHOTOS

SAMSUNG GALAXY S21 ULTRA

Here, I'll show you how the Galaxy S21 Ultra Quad Camera system field of view looks like in different focal length, and how it will affects your framing and composition of your photos. 

Here are the mix of all the focal length presets on the stock Samsung camera software. 

Disclamer: All photos shown shot with "Normal" photo mode with the default AI mode turned on. No post-process applied. Only resized to 2000x1500px with 100% jpeg quality to upload to this community forum. Smiley Wink 

At 0.6x (13mm), Ultra Wide Angle

20210126_174343.JPG

At 1.0x (24mm), Wide angle

20210126_174345.JPG

At 3.0x (70mm), Telephoto

20210126_174349.JPG

At 10x, (240mm), Telephoto

20210126_174353.JPG

At 30x

20210126_174356.JPG

At 100x.

20210126_174401.JPG

How do I think?

I would say, a bit of a mix bag. It's not terrible, but mostly cause by overprocessed.

Most of photo lack details. Excessive amount of sharpening, picture artifacts  all over.  The process even smudged off a lot of fine details, when the photos are shot on  broad daylight.  I do hope Samsung can dial this down in future firmware updates. 

The white balance, colour renditions and contrast in the photos are fine. The distortion correction for the ultrawide shots are great.

3x optical telephoto and 10x optical telephoto  are great for the extra reach.

30x and 100x are "very usable" with the help of a  "crosshair aiming image"  at top right corner, and it will auto-stabalize and try to lock on to what you trying to shoot. It will still drift, but certainly helps when you want to aim something really far away. 

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3