Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2018 smartphones - Looking forward to it?

SuperUser

2017 went by so quickly... And with that, we say goodbye to the 2017 Android Smartphone thread.

2018 Mobile World Congress (MWC) is happening right now. Many new phones (besides iPhones since Apple announce iPhones at their own special events) are being announced.

Are you looking forward a particular smartphone? Or do you think phones are getting expensive these days...

Would be nice to hear what you think about smartphones in 2018 and how you usually use them? Gaming? Work? 

So far, we've heard about:

* Samsung S9 and S9+

* LG V30S ThinQ <-- what a name

* Sony Experia XZ2/ XZ2 Plus <-- why do manufacturers like to give really "interesting" names...

* the matrix phone!!! Nokia 8110 (and comes in Digi Yellow too!!!) hahaha...

(more to come soon)

Note: keeping this thread open so we can also include iPhones this time around.

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

Re: 2018 smartphones - Looking forward to it?

Community Manager
I also heard Nokia has upcoming models that run stock Android. That might be an alternative for the ultra premium Pixel devices.

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

SuperUser

@MrOctopusKwrote:
I also heard Nokia has upcoming models that run stock Android. That might be an alternative for the ultra premium Pixel devices.

personally, i find "stock" android (aka vanilla android) over-rated.

plus, these days, ROM from manufacturers are quite optimised. they have options to allow users to enable/disable many features.

but ya, some people do like stock android and i guess this is still the good thing about Android phones -- options. 

which Nokia is this with stock android? is it part of Android One program? phones like Xiaomi A1 is part of Android One and comes with "stock" android.

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.
Highlighted

SuperUser

Huawei just announced their P20 series. There will be 3 versions -- P20 Lite, P20 and P20 Pro. 

I feel the P20Pro is interesting because it's got 3 rear cameras!!! whoa! i think besides that Light L16, this one has  the most camera modules on a smartphone right now. Besides that, I really like the new type of chameleon/ colour-shifting back that they are offering on the P20 (not sure if it will be for all variants). It reminds me of Hypercolor.

But i guess what I don't like about the P20 series is... The fingerprint sensor at the front. I've used  phones with finger print sensor at the front and at the back. They have their pros and cons. But when you have the phone in your hand and you want to unlock it, especially on a big phone, having the sensor on the back is so much easier than trying to unlock the phone via the tiny sensor on the front.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

SuperUser

@mydragoonwrote:

Huawei just announced their P20 series. There will be 3 versions -- P20 Lite, P20 and P20 Pro. 

I feel the P20Pro is interesting because it's got 3 rear cameras!!! whoa! i think besides that Light L16, this one has  the most camera modules on a smartphone right now. Besides that, I really like the new type of chameleon/ colour-shifting back that they are offering on the P20 (not sure if it will be for all variants). It reminds me of Hypercolor.

But i guess what I don't like about the P20 series is... The fingerprint sensor at the front. I've used  phones with finger print sensor at the front and at the back. They have their pros and cons. But when you have the phone in your hand and you want to unlock it, especially on a big phone, having the sensor on the back is so much easier than trying to unlock the phone via the tiny sensor on the front.

Anyway, what do you guys think?

whoa!!! it breached the 100 points mark. right now, the P20 Pro seems to be the smartphone with best camera!

dxo_p20.jpg

Community Manager

The DXO mark score is amazing and it came as surprise to me. 10 marks more than the Samsung S9 Plus!

Definitely hoping to try it in real life.

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

SuperUser

@MrOctopusKwrote:

The DXO mark score is amazing and it came as surprise to me. 10 marks more than the Samsung S9 Plus!

Definitely hoping to try it in real life.

same here... would love to actually test it out. can't wait for it to be officially available... then can go play with display units.

Contributor

So far the P20 Pro is the most exciting phone at this point. Really liked the option of turning off the notch. Was looking forward to the Mi  Mix 2S but was quite disappointed when it retained the same design as its predecessor (I thought they would go with the corner-camera setup like some leaks have shown). The only other phone I would look forward to would be the next Note as I was very impressed with the Note8. With the improved finger print placement, it would interesting how the next Note would turn out. Maybe an under display finger print sensor..?

SuperUser

@jin_akirawrote:

So far the P20 Pro is the most exciting phone at this point. Really liked the option of turning off the notch. Was looking forward to the Mi  Mix 2S but was quite disappointed when it retained the same design as its predecessor (I thought they would go with the corner-camera setup like some leaks have shown). The only other phone I would look forward to would be the next Note as I was very impressed with the Note8. With the improved finger print placement, it would interesting how the next Note would turn out. Maybe an under display finger print sensor..?

i was a note fan... having started with note 1 and then note 2... only stopped using the note2 sometime last year!

but i noticed these days, note series isn't that special anynmore. most of the things that i like doing with the pen like cropping certain images or even edit screenshots can be done by other phones via software...

i guess that's why many are saying that Samsung's S series and Note series seems to be "merging". only main differentiator is the physical pen. in the past, many years back, the note series always had new hardware and more ram.

P20Pro... ya, Huawei's EMUI seems to give users lots of customisation options. no notch or not to notch. can even toggle on/ off the homscreen. i like my homescreen though...

SuperUser

@jin_akira wrote:

oh ya, you might wanna check out:
https://community.digi.com.my/t5/Android/Huawei-P20-Pro-Triple-the-Fun/m-p/42896