Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Download speed on my new phone slower than my old phone

I have made 2 switches in this year; the first was porting to Infinite 150 and the second was adopting LG V20 as my daily driver after being a loyal owner to a BB PRIV.  I did spent a few months using Inifinite 150 on BB PRIV and during that time I managed to hit around 1MBps to 2MBps when downloading stuff either within the phone itself or when tethering, thanks to the near constant 3-4 bar of 4G+ signal I'm getting at home. And not too long ago I switched to LG V20 but the download speed seems to be much slower than it was with BB PRIV. By 'slow' I mean at 500KBps-600KBps kind of slow, almost half of what I had before the hardware change. I think this should not happen because  LG V20 is a LTE Cat 12 device as opposed to BB PRIV's LTE Cat 9, meaning that LG V20 is capable of downloading stuff at a much faster speed than BB PRIV. I don't think it's due to weak signal  because my LG V20 is also getting 3-4 bar of 4G+ signal just like my old phone. What could be the factor here?

Re: Download speed on my new phone slower than my old phone

Community Manager

@halfey, it's hard to tell what could be the exact reason for that. It ranges from B3+B7 carrier aggregation supported/not supported, whether the device prefers LTE Band 3 or Band 7 (which one can be more congested than the other at an area), or simply due to phone's baseband efficiency (example of difference in speed on iPhone 7 that uses Qualcomm or Intel baseband chip). I personally experienced difference of speed between different device brand/model too, at the same time and location when tested. The difference between certain phone brands can be up to 10-20Mbps side by side. 

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

Re: Download speed on my new phone slower than my old phone

OK I have access to settings that can force my phone to pick whatever LTE  band I want. It's just that I'm not sure if that will improve anything but I'm still thinking of giving it a try (I can always reset to default after that).

Regarding Intel or Qualcomm chip, both BB PRIV and LG V20 use Qualcomm Snapdragon SoC. Before BB PRIV I used Asus Zenfone 2, an Intel-powered phone, and in terms of 4G speed it's slightly slower than BB PRIV and had poor 4G reception inside building. Now with LG V20 it almost feels like I'm going back to using that Zenfone 2, when I expected its download speed to be better than BB PRIV.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count

Meet our Support team and SuperUsers