Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smartphone Cameras are LOUSY! but.....

SuperUser

"Smartphone Cameras are LOUSY!"

It's not the case now, of course. . Smiley Wink   

Smartphone cameras used to suck last time. They used small sensors with really bad pixel density, pair with some simple fixed focal optics. The photo results are usually  noisy, underexposed, overexposed, flat colours... etc. You know what I mean. 

Smartphone cameras noadays still do have small sensors and simple optics, but they had largely improved in these few years. With new hardwares like BSI sensors, big pixels(HTC Ultrapixel), pair with new features like dual lenses, better optical/digital image stabalizer, faster focus and instantanious HDR/Panorama shoots. And the pseudo-bokeh effect that lets you take picture without actually using an expensive large aperture prime lens(f/0.95-alike bokeh ftw).

Making stunning pictures, Whenever Wherever, you are ready to take it out from your pocket. 

-----------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the long story, but I would like to start a Photo Sharing thread for Smartphone Photography at Digi Community, where people share their jaw-dropping shoots everyday. Be it some breakfast you ate this morning, evening sunset, your amazing car, lengluis lengzhais, or your cat&dog photos. 

To kickstart it, here are some of my shoots taken with my Huawei P9. 

P9-Takumar.jpg

A quick shot of my Asahi Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 lens.

p9-fly.jpg

Venus Flytrap in a pot. 

p9-sunset.jpg

Sunset

p9-work.jpg

The "pseudo-0.95-ish bokeh", might not as natural as the real bokeh, but it gives an interesting feel to the picture. 

So, who's next? Smiley Wink

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3

Re: Smartphone Cameras are LOUSY! but.....

Community Manager

IMG_20170819_190905.jpg

First!!! Let me start of with typical food photo.

Community members are welcome to attach your photos too. Your images will need to be approved, just give some time for us to make the photos public. 

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this We Care About Your Network to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

SuperUser

lotus.jpg

Taken with honor 8 Pro. I  was trying to play around with the light from the sun in the background. 

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Coffee anyone? Smiley Tongue

IMG_20170709_145320.jpg

Taken with my Huawei P10!

SuperUser

@MrOctopusK

You made me hungry at this weird hour, digging biscuit for the time being. Smiley Tongue

Just a lil bit of tips, when you shoot 16:9 wide aspect ratio photo, shoot it horizontly. I would usually recomand people who shoot food  to try out photos in  4:3 and 1:1 aspect ratio , but you're free to explore them, no right or wrong.. Smiley Very Happy

Since you go for the a top-down shoot position, it is best is to include the complete round bowl, not karate-chop both sides. Smiley Wink

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3

Community Manager

philippecr wrote:

@MrOctopusK

You made me hungry at this weird hour, digging biscuit for the time being. Smiley Tongue

Just a lil bit of tips, when you shoot 16:9 wide aspect ratio photo, shoot it horizontly. I would usually recomand people who shoot food  to try out photos in  4:3 and 1:1 aspect ratio , but you're free to explore them, no right or wrong.. Smiley Very Happy

Since you go for the a top-down shoot position, it is best is to include the complete round bowl, not karate-chop both sides. Smiley Wink

Thank you for the advice! Now I know how to take better food photos. I'll try again tomorrow

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this We Care About Your Network to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

SuperUser

@mydragoon

may be you can move ur camera to the left, shoot from down to up to get the sky as background, without the "white pillar", might be interesting. Smiley Wink 

--------
Highlighted

SuperUser

Woo!

Here's my Kopi O..  Can't remember when i took this XDIMG_20160912_134110.jpg

___
Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up.If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster! Meow De Ge So!

SuperUser

philippecr wrote:

@mydragoon

may be you can move ur camera to the left, shoot from down to up to get the sky as background, without the "white pillar", might be interesting. Smiley Wink 

it was very much a guess shot. due to the brightness... could not really see what i was shooting. ya, i guess i could always just crop the image instead. Smiley Wink

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

Community Manager

IMG_20170822_172051.jpg

This time a 1:1 image from my Huawei P9 without cutting the bowl. 

Software post processing seems to be too strong to bring up the sharpness and colours.

Top Kudoed Authors

Meet our Support team and SuperUsers