Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

BROADBAND UNKNOWN PHANTOM USAGE

My Broadband quota is being used up before the end of my monthly cycle but I do not know what is using it. I check my computers there was no  windows updates and/or anti virus  updates.

The itemised report I got from digi website showed that the larger data usages (few hundred MB to a few GB!!) usually ocurred at around midnight and 7am. As my broadband is only being used during office hours (weekdays 8.30a-5p) and that the 4g router will be switched off after working hours, I cannot find any logical explaination as to what is using up my quota.

What can be causing my quota to be used up so quickly/suddenly??

Have anyone experienced this?? Appreciate anyone who can help/give insight to this problem

Please refer to attached a page of the itemised report

Re: BROADBAND UNKNOWN PHANTOM USAGE

SuperUser

Hmm, You sure not one else is using it? Someone might turn it on and use it? ^^;

Which router are you using sir?

___
Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up.If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster! Meow De Ge So!

[ Edited ]

Its a D-Link DW0116 4g router with  a D-link 4g dongle attached.

I think I pretty much rule out anyone else using the connection ...wifi is disabled. only lan connection to 4 computers.

2 Win XP, 1 Win7 & 1 Win10.

Only 2 persons have the key to this premise, me and another staff, which I have already checked that there is no way that person could have been here during those times. Premise is locked and secured after office hours so no one else could have gone in.

To secure it further, I think I will stash the dongle away before locking office and see if this usage will continue...

Community Manager

@cscsa, unfortunately from itemized usage logs, we couldn't show what was being transmitted in those usage. 

Would it be possible that you do a short test to remove the SIM card from the router at one night and verify the usage again, while you will be very sure that there is no chances of it being used?

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

Yes I have started to remove the dongle (which contains the sim card) everytime I leave the office and reattaching the dongle when I arrive at the office...so hopefully usage will reduce after that..

But this is only a deterrent..in the coming days I hope to solve this mystery of phantom usage..

Highlighted

Community Manager

cscsa wrote:

Yes I have started to remove the dongle (which contains the sim card) everytime I leave the office and reattaching the dongle when I arrive at the office...so hopefully usage will reduce after that..

But this is only a deterrent..in the coming days I hope to solve this mystery of phantom usage..

Let us know whether does the deterrent reduced the unknown usage. If yes, then some devices or human may have been able to use the internet connection while you thought there shouldn't be any.

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this Report Digi network problems via the MyDigi app to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.
Top Kudoed Authors

Meet our Support team and SuperUsers