12MP dual rear camera, F2.2

8MP front camera, F2.4

5.2" FHD display

Huawei Kirin 955 Octa-core 64-bit processor

3GB RAM

32GB Storage

Dual SIM

3000mAH battery

Huawei P9 users, let's join the discussion! Post your reviews or even any great pictures you have taken with your Huawei P9 device. Test the device to see if it really rivals DSLR.

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this We Care About Your Network to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

Re: Huawei P9 Discussion Thread

SuperUser

sumo_compared_p9.jpg

i just love that epic watermark on the bottom left... Smiley Happy 

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

SuperUser

I had the opportunity to use it for a few days and I must say, I am not EMUI person Smiley Tongue the amount of  years  I've been using vanilla Android makes the whole EMUI experience a little bit too fancy for my liking Smiley Very Happy

But no doubt the camera's DOF is really nice, here's a photo comparison of it with my Nexus 6p (which is made by Huawei as well Smiley Tongue)

Huawei P9.jpgNexus 6p.jpg

Let's have a guess, which one do you guys think is the P9?

SuperUser

Due the the Note7 recall, I decided to stop using my Note7 while waiting for a replacement.  

I was about to go back to my Note 2 when someone I know offered to let me use her brand new Huawei P9. 

After unboxing and taking off the plastic wrapper, you can't miss this:

p9_camera.jpg

LEICA. 

Even if you're NOT into photography, there's a good chance you'd have heard of this brand/ company.  More on the camera later...

The phone itself feels comfortable in  my hands, though it also feels quite slippery.

Setting up the phone is relatively easy, especially if you already have all your data on Google. I just had to sign in with my Google account and within a few minutes, everything is there on the phone -- my address book, Chrome bookmarks, etc...

I also setup my fingerprint  for extra security. I have to say, I am very impressed with the fingerprint sensor. I've never had any issues unlocking the phone with my fingerprints, unlike my Note7 where I sometimes get timed-out (have to wait 30 seconds before trying). Unlocking the phone with the fingerprint sensor is really very fast! You can say it is instantaneous.

The position of the sensor (at the back of the phone) is something that I prefer as well, though there are also good reasons to put them in front. But for me, putting the sensor  at the back feels more natural. 

The sensor itself can also be used to do some "controls". While browsing photos, you can swipe left/ right to move from one photo to another. That, I think, is really awesome! You can even use the sensor to take photos. If anything, I would actually love to see more use for this sensor. 

As it's been raining the last few days, I have not been able to really test out the camera. But I hope to be able to test and share more photos over the next few days...

I'm still trying to get used to the interface on the P9 which I think Huawei calls EMUI. I like to have apps drawer, so the lack of apps drawer makes  me a bit unconfortable as my HOME screen is now not as tidy as I'd like it to be.

I like that we can actually adjust the NAVIGATION BAR. I like to have the BACK button on the right side of HOME button. And what is more interesting is that Huawei allows us to add a "forth" button -- pulling down notification. I love this! It makes it so much easier to see notifications.

Another feature I found unique is the KNUCKLE GESTURES. Using your knuckle, you can actually take screenshots or launch certain apps.  While I love this feature, I do wonder if I might end up knocking too hard and breaking the screen. Smiley Happy

OK, I think the most important Q of all...
Does Pokemon Go work well on this phone? YES. It works very well. So far, I've had no issues what so ever. Battery life is quite decent as well (but fact is, battery life does depend on a lot of factors).

Overall, I'm quite impressed by this phone! If anyone's got any Q about this phone, just leave a reply here and I can try to answer.

Oh ya... Did I mention you can get this phone for FREE  via  certain Digi plans? Smiley Happy

If you think this reply is helpful, don't forget click the THIS IS HELPFUL button. Smiley Happy
If my reply solves your problem (or answers your question),I would appreciate if you can click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.

SuperUser

mydragoon wrote:

Even if you're NOT into photography, there's a good chance you'd have heard of this brand/ company.  More on the camera later...

In case you're wondering where's this bit... coming soon. as mentioned... weather has not been really good, so i've not been outdoor a lot.

indoor... well, there's the Hitachi sumo guy I shared earlier. Smiley Happy

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
SuperUser

Always wanted to shoot photo of your cute puppy, with a really shallow depth of field lens like the Leica Noctilux 50mm f/0.95 ASPH. lens?  

My Puppy - Huawei P9

My Puppy 2- Huawei P9

Feel that your life is a B&W story , like a LEICA M Monochrom  to bring out the artist in you? 

TIGER JAM with Chvrches

Oh no? LIVE concert shouln't be in B&W? Ok. Here's one of the  shoot in colour. Smiley Wink (and ya, that's  Chvrches LIVE! ) 

Chvrches LIVE in Tiger Jam

Or you just love our proud Malaysian Landmarks like Petronas Twin Tower, the TALLEST TWIN TOWER IN THE WORLD! 

klcc-1.jpg

Oh cool, a double decker skybridge!  (psss.... it's the highest 2-story bridge in the world!)

KLCC-cropped

Want to BE LIKE KAI  from DigitalRev, shout  BOKEHHHHH!!!!  like he just don't care?

May be a LEICA camera system might not fit your average consumer's budget. But HUAWEI P9 might fit your needs just right!  

*Disclamer: All above photos are shoot with Huawei P9. It's ALL SOOC! (Straight Out Of Camera!) 

--------
I'm a Potato. If you're too, hit the "This is helpful" button for no reason pls? :-3

SuperUser

Woah, seems to be a number of you guys using P9. Happened to be using the phone also (given by my lovely waifu).

Too be frank, both P9 n P9 Lite doesn't have much difference

IMG-20160909-WA0008.jpg

Can someone guess which is which?

Specs wise everything is there but just no NFC (Why?! Even P9 lite comes wigh NFC though) I kinda like everything with the phone.,especially the camera. Screen is also quite decent (Ips). Another main thing I like is the fingerprint sensor. It surely authenticates quite fast. At the moment i have yet to play games on it thus unable to comment on that. Even it's using it's own chip,I find it quite snappy. There's like this issue when I found out apparently WiFi Direct only works between Huawei device only. Ringtones are **bleep** loud on P9 for some reason( it's set to just half!)

IMG_20160826_115653.jpg

(No Leica watermark,haven't updated when I took.)

I'll put more picture later on. 

Battery life wise it's just as good as my previous Z3. 

Good thing also the phone still works with my headunit (or not no more DMG)

Ok,now have to get back to work before someone come after me Smiley Tongue Will update more stuff later tonight most likely

___
Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up.If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster! Meow De Ge So!

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

The Huawei P9 is built to impress right away from the packaging. Neat and clean design of the box has an elegant introduction for the flagship.

IMG_9506.jpg

Major contents of the box includes USB Type-C cable, earphones (jack is included on device, unlike iPhone 7 =p), standard 5V 2A charger and the beautiful Huawei P9. Not pictured is the included casing and micro-USB to USB Type-C converter. I heard that the phone would fast charge with Huawei's 9V 2A fast charger, but that charger is not included and I have not tested this fast charging claim yet.

IMG_9517.jpg

Huawei P9 is sculpted with unibody aluminium to provide smooth and sleek appearance. I had the pleasure to carass the device, although the device gets a little slippery on real use.

Ergonomics on the device is great, thanks to the chamfered sides and 2.5D curvature on the edge of the screen. This 5.2 inch phone fits right into the palm and if that is not enough, Huawei has included mini screen view for single handed operations.

Screenshot_2016-09-11-23-39-36.png

I am always a fan of pure vanilla Androids, such as the Nexus or devices with Cyanogen OS such as OnePlus One. However there are credits to be given to Huawei to include some practical enhancement on the P9, either on the accessibility or battery life.

The Huawei P9 ROG settings allow display resolution to switch between its full 1080p and a reduced 720p resolution to save power. Along with the Ultra Power Saving mode which turns your P9 into  a basic phone, having low battery drain during your midnight sleep is no longer difficult quest. Don't get me wrong, the battery life of the device comfortably lasts over a day of usage even without using these additional settings.

Screenshot_2016-09-11-23-41-52.pngScreenshot_2016-09-11-23-42-19.png

There are many other enhancement that Huawei did for the P9, such as knuckle knocking screenshot with scrolling capability and also the brilliant fingerprint sensor for security. The fingerprint sensor is no gimmick, lightning fast and accurate, never letting me down whenever I need to reach for the device in almost any situations.

Another great feature that the Huawei P9 has included is the Leica dual lens camera. This device features the first dual lens camera in smartphone photography. The camera software has Leica co-engineered algorithm to give images of brilliant colours and great dynamic range, with manual controls over the camera settings like a professional camera.

Huawei P9 camera controls.png

Huawei P9's great camera works in tandem for both photography enthusiasts and amateur. The camera software interface does not intimidate an amateur camera user like me and have proved to be very commendable in daily practical use.

Here are photos taken on practical basis, handheld with auto mode:

IMG_20160909_082752.jpg

IMG_20160909_202308.jpg

IMG_20160909_203629.jpgIMG_20160909_203738.jpg

Huawei P9's camera exhibit excellent low light capability. The low light images remains detailed and have good tone gradation, thanks to the monochrome sensor in assistance. On the last photo, I used the shallow DOF feature that allows you to simulate DSLR-like large aperture lens, up to f/0.95!

This is a honest review to help our community to make their right choices of their daily phones, hence I will wrap this up with the pros and cons that I personally experienced with the phone:

Pros

+ Beautiful clean design

+ One of the best smartphone camera in the market, proudly with Leica branding

+ Excellent fingerprint sensor

+ Runs on recent Android Marshmallow out of the box

+ Good signal reception and call quality

+ Bright and sharp display capable of great contrast and colours

+ Above average battery life that lasts a day for most use case

+ Some nice touches to the software by Huawei to improve accessibility and battery life

+ Fairly loud speaker

+ Expandable memory or dual SIM

Cons

- Has quite a number of bloatware out of the box, but luckily they are all removable by normal app uninstallation

- Not the greatest fan of EMUI launcher that lacks app drawer. A personal preference fixed by installing my favourite Nova launcher. I also disliked the way settings page is arranged. Felt like settings category are disorganised, compared to vanilla Android. I wish for slightly more freedom in the settings, such as more options for notification bar quick settings, and options to use default Android heads up notification instead of the Huawei P9's banner

- No 4G+/LTE-A on this device, with current B168 firmware

- No NFC; no chance for mobile credit card payment for this device

My verdict, Huawei P9 is a device with a good balance of price (RRP: RM1980) and features. This device will please mobile photographers or just anyone with an expectation of a practical, reliable daily phone with great looks and features. I have just made this Huawei P9 my daily driver and you should consider it too. Digi is now giving the device for free with Postpaid 148 bundle, or just RM699 for Postpaid 98, as of time of writing. 

Hope my answer has helped! If it has, please click on "This is Helpful" to give it a thumbs up. If this is the solution you seek, click on "Accept as Solution" to help others find their answers faster!

Having intermittent network issues? Read this We Care About Your Network to help us help you!

Getting SMS spams? "Third Party Charges for SMS from Content Providers " article can help.

Super Contributor
No 4G+ for digi?
Anyone can confirm this?

Also Digi superuser/digi staff, any possibility for this p9/p9 plus offering volte in future?

Community Manager
I have seen P9+ having 4G+ with Digi.

I have not seen the P9 having 4G+ with any network in Malaysia yet.

If I can get any technical details about this, I shall share it.

Top Kudoed Authors

Meet our Support team and SuperUsers