Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Join the conversation
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

5 days with... Samsung Galaxy S6

So, I managed to get my dirty hands on Samsung Galaxy S6 and it feels like falling in love all over again!

Design & Aesthetics

S6 is, no doubt, a superbly designed piece of hardware. It’s solid, but very light.

It does look like a certain brand, though it’s not a bad thing.

I find the slight protrusion of the rear camera teeny weeny bit annoying, but no love is perfect.

They could’ve added 1-2mm to the thickness – the device may be bulkier, but no camera protrusion and probably have bigger battery.

Display

You can never go wrong with Super AMOLED. In the case of this particular beauty, they’re pushing it to 577 ppi in a gorgeous 5.1” screen.

Which, in real-world terms, means intense and retina-bleeding clarity. And this is probably the best out there.

Camera

Sammy has tweaked the camera setting for wider aperture – F1.9 compared to S5’s F2.2.

And boom! Taking photos in all conditions - specially low light - gives a better result.

My Instagram photos has garnered more likes than before!

Battery

One of the biggest sacrifice for this model is non-removable battery. Shedding a few mm off the bulk also means smaller battery capacity.

How well does this go – now that the display is awesomer than before?

Surprisingly, you get quite decent (not the best, but decent) battery life:

• Thanks to Samsung’s Exynos processor. There are some witchcraft going on in there, but it somehow manages the battery well.
  • Quick charge. It’s claimed that you can go from flat to 65-70% in just 30 minutes of charging.

In any case, I have my powerbank ready.  

Memory

You will definitely fill up the memory quite fast if you love taking photos and videos. More so if you crank up the camera settings to highest resolution.

I find that I’m limited to only 5 minutes of UHD video – not sure that’s because of memory or camera limitation.

Others

It was mentioned that they removed USB-to-go and MHL support in this device

I tested USB-to-go, it works. However, I didn't test on MHL

Also, there was no mention of IP ratings, however, some tests online shows that this device can be submerged in water for more than 20 minutes (compared to iPhone 6 - 2 mins). I’m dying to try this.

Summary:

If you’re on older variant of Galaxy S (S2, S3, S4), or using other make / model, this is THE phone to get. Do it. Now.

If you’re on Galaxy S5 (and have extra cash lying around) – please consider this phone.

Pros

- Superb build and design

- Gorgeous display that makes your eyes bleed

- Camera is fast and awesome

Cons

- Memory – no SD

- Battery

Re: 5 days with... Samsung Galaxy S6

SuperUser
I have been using it for weeks and I felt that it's not a great phone, made worse by the crazy price.

The only thing I like about it is the camera, it's so superb it replaced my DSLR setup for many situations.

CH Member

Somehow the crazy pricetag is a deterent to a lot of potential users. Although the brand does worth some value, but I would think that Samsung kind of forgot that higher price tag will not bring them the right pool of users they are hoping for.

SuperUser

Price of the S6 has dropped significantly.

Top Kudoed Authors

Meet our Support team and SuperUsers